ClearWay MinnesotaSM has a 19-member Board of Directors comprising 11 at-large positions and eight appointed members. Board Members have expertise in areas of governance, finances, communications and marketing, grant-making, health care and insurance, tobacco control and cessation, community organizing, populations at risk, public affairs and/or human resources. Board and Board Committee meetings are held at the ClearWay Minnesota office.
Board of Directors
Board Chair – Thomas Weaver
Vice Chair – Joel Swanson
Secretary – Daniel Johnson
Treasurer – Bob Boerschel
Governor Mark Dayton appointed:
- Jim Rhodes, Endowments and Pension Director for the Minneapolis Portfolio Management Group, LLC, and a former State Representative
- Thomas Weaver, CEO of Achieve Services, Inc., and former Chief Operating Officer of the Metropolitan Council (note: Mr. Weaver was originally appointed by Governor Tim Pawlenty, then reappointed by Governor Dayton)
Speaker of the House Paul Thissen appointed:
- Janet Keysser, former manager of the state’s asthma program at the Minnesota Department of Health
Former Speaker of the House Kurt Zellers appointed:
- Bob Boerschel, eFinancial Senior Counsel at Wells Fargo
Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk appointed:
- Galen Vetter, former executive at Rust Consulting/Kinsella Media, Franklin Templeton Investments and McGladrey
Former Senate Majority Leader Lawrence Pogemiller appointed:
- Daniel Johnson, nonprofit consultant, former executive at the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and past president of the United Health Foundation and the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation
Attorney General Lori Swanson appointed:
- Steven D. McWhirter, Executive Vice President of Dougherty & Company, LLC
- Brian Short, Chief Executive Officer of the Leamington Company and former U.S. Magistrate Judge
Board members filling the 11 at-large positions:
- Ellen Denzen, researcher with the National Marrow Donor Program
- Kelly Drummer, President and CEO of the Tiwahe Foundation
- David Jones, former Chief Financial Officer and Chief Operating Officer of Allina Health and Interim Chief Executive Officer of Hennepin County Medical Center
- Russel Kuzel, M.D., Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer of UCare
- Pamela Lux, Director of Human Resources Communications at Travelers Insurance and former Vice President at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota
- Vivian Jenkins Nelsen, co-founder of the INTER-RACE Institute, a diversity think-tank at Augsburg College
- Howard Orenstein, Senior Assistant Hennepin County Attorney and former partner at Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Cerisi
- Jenny Peterson, Executive Director for Generations Health Care Initiatives
- Joy Rikala, independent consultant, former Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension special agent and former police chief for the City of Minnetonka and the University of Minnesota Police Department
- Lyn Stepaniak, Director of Cardiac Rhythm Disease Management Technical and Patient Services at Medtronic, Inc.
- Joel Swanson, President of Risdall Marketing Group
Former ClearWay Minnesota Board Members, from one year prior:
- James Deal (term expired September 2013)
- Vernae Hasbargen (term expired September 2013)
- Larry Kryzaniak (resigned November 2013)
- Teresa Matsui Sanders (resigned December 2013)
Board and Committee Meetings
The ClearWay Minnesota Board of Directors meets every other month throughout the year. Board Meetings are open to the public.
Board Meetings are typically held from 9 a.m. - noon in the ClearWay Minnesota office.
2014 BOARD MEETINGS
September 17, 9 a.m. – noon
November 19, 9 a.m. – noon
2014 COMMITTEE MEETINGS
Committees of the ClearWay Minnesota Board meet throughout the year. Most meetings are open to the public and are held at the ClearWay Minnesota office at Two Appletree Square, 8011 34th Ave. S., Ste. 400, Minneapolis, MN 55425.
2014 ClearWay MinnesotaSM Board Committee Roster and Meeting Schedule
Thomas Weaver, Chair
Joel Swanson, Vice Chair
Daniel Johnson, Secretary
Bob Boerschel, Treasurer; Chair, Audit/Finance Committee
Jenny Peterson, Chair, Program Grants and Contracts Committee
Lyn Stepaniak, Chair, Strategic Planning and Development Committee
Joy Rikala, Chair, Nominating Committee
August 20, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
October 15, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
December 17, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Bob Boerschel, Chair
July 31, 10 - 11 a.m.
August 28, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
October 22, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
December 18, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
PROGRAM GRANTS AND CONTRACTS COMMITTEE
Jenny Peterson, Chair
September 4, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
November 6, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT AND PLANNING COMMITTEE
Jim Rhodes, Chair
Vivian Jenkins Nelsen
No meetings pending
NOMINATING AND BOARD DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
Joy Rikala, Chair
Vivian Jenkins Nelsen
Three external Committee Members
July 31, 2:30 – 3 p.m.
INVESTMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Meetings not public