ClearWay MinnesotaSM has a 19-member Board of Directors comprising 11 at-large positions and eight appointed members. Board Members have expertise in areas of governance, finances, communications and marketing, grant-making, health care and insurance, tobacco control and cessation, community organizing, populations at risk, public affairs and/or human resources. Board and Board Committee meetings are held at the ClearWay Minnesota office.
Board of Directors
Board Chair – Bob Boerschel
Vice Chair – Vivian Jenkins Nelsen
Secretary – Anne Vars
Treasurer – Laurie Lafontaine
Governor Mark Dayton appointed:
- Karen Kraemer, R.N., former Vice President of Disease and Case Management with HealthPartners
- Brian Osberg, former Program Director at the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, former Minnesota Assistant Commissioner of Health Care Administration and former Minnesota State Medicaid Director
Former Speaker of the House Paul Thissen appointed:
- Janet Keysser, former manager of the state’s asthma program at the Minnesota Department of Health
Former Speaker of the House Kurt Zellers appointed:
- Bob Boerschel, eFinancial Senior Counsel at Wells Fargo
Senate Majority Leader Thomas Bakk appointed:
- Gail Amundson, M.D., health care consultant, former Medical Director for Quality, Measurement and Provider Incentives at HealthPartners, and founder and past board chair of Minnesota Community Measurment
- Hugh T. Nierengarten, J.D., attorney and member of Allina Health System board of directors
Attorney General Lori Swanson appointed:
Steven D. McWhirter, Executive Vice President of Dougherty & Company, LLC
Brian Short, Chief Executive Officer of the Leamington Company and former U.S. Magistrate Judge
Board members filling the 11 at-large positions:
- Ellen Denzen, researcher with the National Marrow Donor Program
- Kelly Drummer, President and CEO of the Tiwahe Foundation
- Pamela Lux, Director of Human Resources Communications at Medtronic and former Vice President at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota
- Laurie Lafontaine, former Vice President of Allina Health
- Nevada Littlewolf, Executive Director and founder of Rural and American Indigenous Leadership
- Vivian Jenkins Nelsen, co-founder of the INTER-RACE Institute, a diversity think-tank at Augsburg College
- Howard Orenstein, Senior Assistant Hennepin County Attorney and former partner at Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Cerisi
- Joel Swanson, President of Risdall Marketing Group
- Anne Vars, Health Strategy Project Manager at Target Corporation
Former ClearWay Minnesota Board Members, from one year prior:
- Russell Kuzel (resigned March 2016)
- Daniel Johnson (term expired September 2016)
- Joy Rikala (term expired September 2016)
- Thomas Weaver (term expired September 2016)
Board and Committee Meetings
The ClearWay Minnesota Board of Directors meets every other month throughout the year. Board Meetings are open to the public.
Board Meetings are typically held from 9 a.m. – noon in the ClearWay Minnesota office.
2016 BOARD MEETINGS
November 16, 9 a.m. – noon
2016 COMMITTEE MEETINGS
Committees of the ClearWay Minnesota Board meet throughout the year. Most meetings are open to the public and are held at the ClearWay Minnesota office at Two Appletree Square, 8011 34th Ave. S., Ste. 400, Minneapolis, MN 55425.
2016 ClearWay MinnesotaSM Board Committee Roster and Meeting Schedule
Bob Boerschel, Chair
Vivian Jenkins Nelsen, Vice Chair
Anne Vars, Secretary
Laurie Lafontaine, Treasurer
Steven D. McWhirter, Chair, Audit/Finance Committee
Chair, Nominating and Board Development Committee (currently vacant)
Joel Swanson, Chair, Strategic Planning and Development Committee
October 19, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
December 21, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Steven D. McWhirter, Chair
October 27, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
December 22, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
NOMINATING AND BOARD DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
Chair currently vacant
Vivian Jenkins Nelsen
Three external Committee Members
No meetings pending
PROGRAM GRANTS AND CONTRACTS COMMITTEE
Ellen Denzen, Chair
November 3, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT AND PLANNING COMMITTEE
Joel Swanson, Chair
December 1, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
INVESTMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Laurie Lafontaine, Chair
*Eternal committee members
Meetings not public