Menthol-, candy- and fruit-flavored tobacco products are attractive to kids and driving the youth nicotine epidemic. Flavored products can lure kids to a lifetime of tobacco addiction and disease. As part of Minnesotans for a Smoke-Free Generation, ClearWay Minnesota supports restricting or prohibiting the sale of all flavored tobacco products, to create a healthier future for our kids and address tobacco-related health disparities.
- Flavored tobacco products are a key reason Minnesota is facing a youth nicotine epidemic.
- Weak federal rules still allow the tobacco industry to use kid-friendly menthol, candy and fruit flavors to attract the next generation of tobacco users.
- The tobacco industry markets menthol products to youth, African Americans and other specific populations, which contributes to tobacco-related health disparities.
- Flavored products mask the harshness of tobacco, but are just as addictive and dangerous as other products.
- Restricting sales of flavored tobacco products can reduce availability and reduce tobacco use.